As the market for smart devices continues to grow, the need for stronger measures for security follows. From fitness trackers to cameras, the realm of these devices all fall under the category of IoT, or the Internet of Things. In this article, we will offer tips on how to keep your IoT devices secure.
What is the Internet of Things?
IoT (Internet of Things) refers to the connection and collection of data between the internet and your digital devices.
Devices that are a part of the IoT can include, but are not limited to:
- Smart Thermostats
- Security Systems
- Video Cameras
- Smart Applicances
- Baby Monitors
- Digital Video Recorders/Cameras
However, these devices have one overarching commonality—a lack of security.
Quick Tips on How to Secure Your IoT Devices
We have 7 tips that you can use when considering the security of your IoT devices:
- Only connect to protected sources—When connecting to a network, be sure that the router is protected by a firewall. Your IoT devices should be behind the firewall whenever the opportunity exists, try not to connect directly to the internet.
- Change default passwords/credentials, when possible—Make the password complex, something unique to you that only you would remember or be able to know.
- Check for Firmware Updates—Some devices offer updates for their software, check in from time to time on the vendor site so you can keep your device as secure as possible.
- Personalize the Defaults—Be sure to disable any features that your device may have that you do not plan to utilize, such as device-to-device networking. Features such as this can potentially poke holes in the firewall, compromising your security.
- Don’t Get Devices with Peer-to-Peer Capability—P2P devices offer the ability to share information with other devices without a central server, which make them incredibly difficult to secure even with a firewall.
- Cheaper Doesn’t Mean better—Do your research and consider the cost when purchasing an IoT device, cheaper devices have had a history of correlating with increased security vulnerabilities.
- Seek Help—If you aren’t sure of how to go about securing your device, or whether your device is unsecure, seek help. You’re better safe than sorry.
At Brave River Solutions, we have a skilled team of experts in IT Security that can help you protect your network, devices, and personal information. Give us a call today!